About Us: Vision & Mission
AirTerra is an innovative organization committed to poverty reduction in the majority world.
Today over 600 million families are living on a yearly income of less than $1000 and the majority of them are cooking over an open fire.
These people face the problems of food insecurity every day. They want to generate increased income and send their children to school. They want clean water. They seek health care and adequate housing.
Yet the developed world’s addiction to oil and coal has negatively impacted their world through global warming caused by increasing green house gases and CO2 emissions.
Airterra is committed to making a difference. Through the distribution of hundreds of thousands of biochar-producing cooking stoves, we will come alongside rural and semi-rural families in Asia, Africa and Latin America in very practical ways.
AirTerra stoves will:
- Reduce the amount of wood used for cooking by at least half
- Produce biochar as a by-product of cooking with biomass
- When mixed with soil increase plant yield by 50 to 800%
- Improve water retention
- Reduce requirements for fertilizer inputs
- Increase fruit and vegetable yields for sale in local markets
- Create jobs in the majority world through stove manufacturing and distribution
Last but not least: 162,000 stoves promoted for use by AirTerra over the next seven years will sequester two million tonnes or more of CO2!